How to set up Android
We guide you step-by-step through how to set up and activate an Android phone or tablet.
So you’ve got you’ve got a new Android smartphone or tablet and you want to get on with downloading apps and making calls. If the the setup process seems a bit daunting then don’t worry because we’ll guide you through each step, explaining what to do.
Most phones and tablets will guide you step-by-step through the setup process. The experience may differ slightly, depending on what brand is your device and which version of Android it is running. They are all very similar, but here we are using stock Android.
Also see: Essential Android apps and best Android games for a new phone or tablet.
How to set up a new Android phone or tablet
- Insert your SIM card and switch on your phone, ensuring it is fully charged
- Select a language
- Connect to Wi-Fi
- Enter your Google account details
- Select your backup and payment options
- Set date and time
- Set up a password and/or fingerprint
- Voice assistant
- Start downloading apps and content